Workshop Mental Health First Aid for the Tertiary Student
DATE 17 February 2022
TIME 9:00AM - 1:00PM
The Blended Online MHFA Tertiary Course includes two course components.
Course Component 1 – Self-paced interactive eLearning (5-7 hours)
The eLearning course component presents an overview of mental health problems and mental health crises.
Developing mental health problems covered include:
Substance use problems
- Anxiety problems
- Eating disorders
Mental health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- Aggressive behaviour
Course Component 2 – Instructor-led videoconferencing (2 x 2.5 hour sessions)
Course Component 2 – Component 2 provides course participants with an opportunity to revise content covered in the self-paced eLearning program and to consolidate the application of this content with the development of practical skills in a group environment online.
Course Component 2 provides participants with the opportunity to:
- Revise the eLearning content and the MHFA Action Plan
- Clarify any points of uncertainty remaining after completion of the eLearning modules
- Apply the MHFA Action Plan to relevant scenarios
- Discuss and reflect 'a where to from now' in using mental health first aid skills
- Develop a self-care plan to maintain good mental health.
Course component 2 must be completed within 3-months of completing component 1 (eLearning).
This course is based on guidelines developed through the expert consensus of people with lived experience of mental health problems and professionals.